Sunday, September 23, 2012

Old Friends

Last weekend I traveled to my home town in what is called the Midwest.  No matter how long I live away from the city where I was born and have no intention on moving back there, when I'm driving there, I always think about home. 

I spent an evening with my friend Karen. We've known each other for more than half our lives. And while I'm not ancient, neither am I a young woman. Karen and I have known each other a long time.  Next to my husband, I consider her my best friend.

Karen and I have shared countless laughs and many, many tears. We hold each other's secrets and love each other unconditionally. Growing up in a house full of boys, I've never related to another woman like I have her.  In fact, I consider her a sister rather than a friend.

Karen's health has been fragile for the last few years. In fact, at one point, doctors baffled by her illness, predicted she would die.  And while I prayed, I otherwise felt so utterly useless; wanting a plan of action to make that new reality to go away. The myriad tears I cried were purposeless.

Due to Karen's unrelenting need to conquer her illness, she found new doctors. She was diagnosed with Lyme disease. However, for Lyme to be treated easily, it must be diagnosed quickly. That never happened here. The parasites that invaded her body have stolen bits and pieces of my friend, at times speech, or clear thinking or energy.

 I never needed Karen to contract a dibilitating disease to realize what a blessing she was to me. But it has meant the moments we've had together are all the more precious.

Love your family and cherish your friends as they are one of life's greatest gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment