Sunday, September 2, 2012

what big ears you have

"the better to hear you with, my dear"     ~the Big Bad Wolf

Seek the lofty by reading, hearing and seeing great work at some moment every day. ~Thornton Wilder

the lilting notes of a lullaby, the soft patter of rain upon the roof, the contagious laughter of a child, the words "I love you": if you treat them as mundane, then they become mundane.  Thornton Wilder was on to something.  We should be on a journey to seek something lofty. But I caution that we should not get so caught up in the search that we cannot see, or hear, what is right in front of us.

Our sense of hearing is a great blessing. If the music you are listening to does not evoke emotion, then why listen?  Music can move me to tears. The sound of rain on my roof can lull me to sleep. And the laughter of children can cause me to laugh without even understanding why they are laughing. Hearing is powerful. It is one vehicle that delivers the beauty of the world to us.

Hearing is a tool the warns us when danger is near. The buzzing of a bee, the sound of a speeding car, a tornado siren move us to action. Often long before we see the peril, we that the tool to prevent the disaster.

As a writer, I've been asked to share my poetry.  Looking out over my audience, I've seen people crying, brought to tears from hearing my words. Others with their eyes closed, absorbing the imagery of what they heard.


Now hear this! Whether lofty or mundane, be thankful for your sense of hearing. It brings you news of this world, for safety, for enjoyment, for learning, for love. Cherish it!







No comments:

Post a Comment