Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Called to Grace--from June 2009

I find that I read most of my news online. Beyond that I like to read self-help articles, those on relationships , gardening, health. One WebMD article that struck me recently included steps to being happy. More than that, it was entitled, “Choosing to Be Happy” by Tom Valeo
Happiness Strategy #7: Engage in Meaningful Activities
People are seldom happier, says psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, than when they're in the "flow." This is a state in which your mind becomes thoroughly absorbed in a meaningful task that challenges your abilities. Yet, he has found that the most common leisure time activity -- watching TV -- produces some of the lowest levels of happiness.

To get more out of life, we need to put more into it, says Csikszentmihalyi. "Active leisure that helps a person grow does not come easily," he writes in Finding Flow. "Each of the flow-producing activities requires an initial investment of attention before it begins to be enjoyable."
That word investment got me thinking.
When we invest, we give something of ourselves (usually money) in order for some appreciate in value.
But I found another meaning of investment at dictionary.com, “a devoting, using, or giving of time, talent, emotional energy, etc., as for a purpose or to achieve something”
How appropriate, when we give of ourselves we receive so much more. Not only that but devoting ourselves for a purpose, not aimless activity but for achievement, a goal, providing something that wouldn’t exist if not for you.
I want to share a little bit on an email I got from my sister-in-law Julie in April.
“Jackie, I wanted to let you know I walked today for breast cancer, it was the Susan G Komen race for the cure (in Indianapolis). I walked for Mom, Cherie and you. It was the most uplifting, inspiring thing I have done in a long time. I did do it and I felt sooo good about it that I want to get more involved with it. I am gonna try to be a volunteer next year.”
Pretty strong reward for a couple of blisters.
Still looking for an opportunity nearby? Check out volunteermatch.org.
The Bible tells us in Deuteronomy 15:10 “ Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.”
We are assured that our expenditure will receive a return; blessed even. So go ahead invest in your happiness, choose to share your talents and sit back and reap your rewards. I bet you’ll have a smile on your face.

God's Blessings,
JJJ

No comments:

Post a Comment