Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Stolen moments

Tick, tick, tick, tick. Some days just feel like we're trying to beat the clock. Work, kids, dinner, shopping, significant others, workshops, family, etc., etc., etc. Too much to do and too little time. At least, for most of us, no time for us.


I remember one day when the twins were just infants.  First one would cry and then the other. Borrowing a term from wrestling, I said they tag teamed me.  After about seven hours, I was at my limit. Overwhelmed and exhausted, I slid down the wall, sat on the floor and sobbed.  I had nothing more to give and did the only thing I could think of.  I called a woman who worked in a special program here in Missouri. She was my "parent educator".  Her simple advice?  "Your home is safe, put your boys down in their crib and go outside for ten minutes."  I had to get permission to take a few moments to myself.  After those few words of advice, I never stressed over a tough day like that again.

After years of early mornings working in a factory, my body will seldom let me sleep past 5:30 each morning.      
Now that I teach, I have time to myself. A chance to write, or read or prepare for my day.  It is no more than 30 minutes, but it is my time; my precious alone time.

My other stolen moments entail spending "alone time" with my husband. Our children are older now and can spend the evening by themselves.  Sometimes the kids are out with friends and we curl up on the couch and watch a movie. Sometimes we go out without the kids to a free concert or out to dinner.

Take time out from the hustle and bustle. Find your stolen moments. Bless yourself with time for yourself.




No comments:

Post a Comment