Wednesday, August 15, 2012

reflections

There is something about the mirror.  Admittedly, I've looked there and regretted seeing the latest wrinkle or gray hair. There are a number of scars that I hate to see. They bring back memories that I don't like to think of.....cancer, illness. A dark time. But the scars and gray hairs and the wrinkles, they are all a part of me. The person I am today.

And that person, I like. I'm not perfect just like that body reflected there is not perfect. I am very flawed. I could be kinder, we all could. Or I could be more organized or more industrious. I could give more. Scars on my personality just like those on my body. Oh no, I am not perfect but none of us are.

But reflection also allows me to see beyond the imperfection to the real me.  Those scars have made me stronger.  Being diagnosed with cancer was a dark time for me, but I had three children that I had to be present for every day. Wallowing in fear would not take care of their needs. They kept me strong. I have something to give, gifts, talents. Gray hairs and wrinkles do not diminish that value.

What do you see when you reflect? Do you see how strong you have become? How wise? When brought down, did you get back up? Are you kind? Smart? Generous? Can you see you are uniquely made? How much you have to offer?

The ability to reflect is a blessing. When you stop to take stock of who you are, you will no doubt find that your warehouse is full with good things. And don't forget to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment