Friday, July 27, 2012

in a bucket, with holes

Growing up, I heard many country expressions in my home.  Fair to middling; If you don't stop that crying, I'll give you something to cry about!; having a hissy fit; and couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.  The last would be me.  Personally, I have no musical talent. I can't sing nor can I play a musical instrument. You could not pay me enough to embarrass myself at karaoke. But I love music; spiritual, classical, rock, jazz, acoustic, instrumental,  show tunes, tribal, Celtic, opera.  Not everything I hear but most. 


There is something magical power within music that transports you.  It's much like a good book.  It reaches out and grabs you and tugs, pulls or knocks you into another world.  


There were times when I would have Billy Idol blasting on the tape player while driving my convertible.  The fast beat of the music and growling lyrics added to the exhilaration of driving that car, wind blowing through my hair.  Music theater can send me to a long ago age or some mythical place over the rainbow.  The heroine beseeches the audience to look into the eyes of her beloved and see him as she sees him.  The soft lilting notes of a lullaby set the scene for droopy-eyed babies and mothers tenderly holding their sweet children.


Music speaks to us often when words fail.  Music helps us fall in love, makes us cry, makes us laugh, soothes us, exhilarates us, makes us angry, makes us sad, makes us tap our toes and makes us want to dance.  Music can relieve stress, reduce pain due to release of endorphins, and reduce high blood pressure. While smell may be the most powerful memory trigger, music delivers us to the dance floor at our prom, "Color My World" by Chicago. Music can send us back to the elementary school playground.


I carry my musical talent in a leaky bucket so that when I arrive everyone discovers that I have none with me.  But my musical shortcomings do no keep me from appreciating the gifts of others.  Just today, I had to bring one of the twins to a music store for a replacement cork ring for his clarinet. There was a man in the store playing "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams on acoustic guitar.  Oh, how I could have just closed my eyes and breathed in the notes until I floated away.  But we had to rush away, deadlines interfered.


If your musical bucket is full, please share. Sing out and bless the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment